Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Cheating

We're in Week 2 of the "I Am CrossFit" Challenge, and for the most part, I'm doing quite well. I've lost a pound, am feeling a little tighter and even got a couple comments on my "toned" arms yesterday! YES!!!

Food wise, I haven't really cheated... unless you count the mac and cheese from Smoque I might have nibbled on at my church picnic on Sunday afternoon... But honestly? In 9 days? When you're used to eating however you want, whenever you want?? I'd say that one little mac and cheese incident isn't worth fretting about. I could have done much more damage in 9 days time.

Now, tonight I got to thinking. If I could cheat right now, if I really wanted to cheat right now, what would I cheat with? There was what seemed like a banquet table-full of food choices that came to mind, but a few things rose to the top for sure...

First up, the Quattro Staggioni pizza from Quartino. Artichokes! Roasted red pepper! Mushrooms! Zucchini! All on top of a thin, delicious crust!!!! Oh my goodness, it is so good yall. If you've had it, you know. If you haven't, go. Now. (PS, Quartino also has half-priced wine bottles when you get them to go!)



Second, strawberry cheesecake ice cream from Windy City Sweets. Now, if you recall, this was my indulgence of choice after "the incident" so apparently it's my go-to for self-pity. It has real strawberry tracks. And chunks of graham cracker crust. I think my mouth... yeah... my mouth just started watering.

Third, peanut and peanut butter M&Ms. Alternating, of course. And they count as one food since they're basically the same thing. No picture or description needed - obviously - because they're amazing.

Fourth choice, stromboli. This is a family recipe that my mom taught me to make years ago. It's pepperoni and ham rolled up in cheesy, bready goodness. It's a boyfriend-pleaser too, which is always nice. Here's a pic... not the best one, but you get the idea, and I bet you want me to make it for you.




Last, but most certainly not least, I would want a huge brownie. Nothing special, just the kind that you make from a Betty Crocker mix. It would still be a little bit gooey, and I would want ice cream piled up on top of it (specifically Edy's Slow-Churned French Silk). YUMMMM! Either that or about 3 Skillet Cookies from Gaslight.

Now if only all my favorite "Cheats" existed in some form of Paleo form, that would be awesome. If anyone has ideas on that, let me know. And feel free to share what YOU'D eat to cheat.

1 comment:

  1. I don't cheat much...well, that's not true. I do but it's mostly in terms of non-sweets. Like really amazing burgers...Edzo's in Evanston, the Rockit burger, the $9 Kobe beef burger at Paramount Room, etc. Those are my kinds of cheats!

    My cheats are generally foods that aren't necessarily the best for you but ones you can still get some nutritional value out of even if you are going a little overboard.

    But if I'm really going for it (and I haven't had this in years), there is a giant hot brownie with vanilla bean ice cream and hot fudge at RJ Grunt's right by Lincoln Park. Every time I think of a cheat dessert, I think of that.

    Peanut butter M&Ms rock too. So little, so dangerous.

    OH OH, also Justin's Chocolate Almond Butter. Find that at the grocery store and you won't be able to stop yourself from using your fingers to eat it.

    Guess I do cheat after all! (sorry for the long post!)

    ReplyDelete